Monday, April 4, 2011

The Stranglehold of English Literature

   This poem by Felix Mnthali is very insightful he describes with beautiful accuracy with truth and complexity the African experience of colonialism. This poem gives insight into the condition of the African people from the view of an African native. Also, from a historical perspective it is very relevant and insightful because he uses historical facts and personal experience.
    I love the part where he  references the use of Eng lit in comparison to African institutions of higher learning " How could questions be asked at Makerere and Ibadan, Dakar and Ford Hare with Jane Austen at the centre? " (Mnthali). Overall, I am very surprised and proud that I am reading for the first time in my life works by African artist, I have read works by African American artist and in comparison the struggle between the two cultures seem to be frighteningly similar.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you are right that African Americans have similar issues. It is interesting to think about the African American experience as a form of extreme colonialism. I think of this poem as paired with Langston Hughes' poem "Theme for English B". Do you know this poem?

    ReplyDelete